Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chocolate-Covered Anything Is a Good Thing...Right?

I have long (and stubbornly!) held the belief that chocolate makes everything better. So when I discovered that December 16th is National Chocolate-Covered Anything Day, I wasn't surprised.


How can you go wrong with chocolate-covered raisins? Or chocolate-covered Key Lime pie - on a stick? (Ya gotta love fair food.) Or chocolate-covered pretzel sticks? Or chocolate-covered caramels?

Thinking about all of those made me wonder what else out there is chocolate-covered. So I did a web search. And to kick it up a notch, I looked for "weird chocolate-covered foods." Check out these chocolate covered goodies, from the moderately interesting to the truly gross:
  • chocolate-covered French fries (Eh. Maybe...)
  • chocolate-covered Skittles (Handsome Boy might try these.)
  • chocolate-covered giant ants (Ummm, no.)
  • chocolate-covered squid (Seriously?)
  • chocolate-covered haggis (Ewww. Just ewww.)

To take it one step further, here's what I found - all of them chocolate-covered, of course - with recipes:


This one is gross, but to read the post that goes with the recipe is a total riot: Chocolate-Covered Crickets




This one is possibly acceptable: Chocolate-Covered Potato Chips. Whadda ya think? You know, the whole, "sweet vs. salty" thing? It might be OK... 






And here we have: Chocolate-Covered Bacon. That's right - bacon. Man, I thought deep-fried Twinkies sounded like a heart attack waiting to happen, but this... Well, it is getting a lot of buzz, but I don't know... I just don't know.


I think I'll just stick with my raisins.