Monday, November 10, 2008

Why Do They Call It a Bedroom, Exactly?

I guess they call it a bedroom because it's a room with a bed in it. 'Cause to call it a sleeproom would be a total misnomer. At least, it would be in my case.

Here is a partial and by no means complete list of all the alternate names by which my "Bedroom" could be known:

Laundry Staging Area - Since my laundry room (another total misnomer, but this time on the "room" part) is only big enough for one washer, one dryer, and one me, I end up sorting the dirty clothes into piles in my bedroom. Then, when I need to sling up some things to air dry, I set up the drying racks in my bedroom. Then, when the clothes need folding, I spread out the folded stacks of clothes all over my so-called bedroom. 

Recovery Room - Yeah. If you're a parent, or you have parents, you know exactly what this means. Where does every kid turn when they feel miserable and need a place to feel warm and soft and totally pampered? That's right. Mommy's room. 

Surrogate Family Room - Sometimes heading down to the basement family room to watch a little TV seems just a little too...well...impersonal. So instead we retire to the smaller TV, but cozier seating arrangement of my bedr- I mean, the Surrogate Family Room.

Household Hang-Out - Rainy days. Slug days. Mopey days. Bad-day-at-school days. Somehow on these kinds of days, everyone ends up piled on my bed with books or games or toys. 

Occasional Dining Room - You know those kind of days. Everyone's tired. Everyone's cranky. And no one (AKA...me) wants to cook. So we roar off to Mickey D's, bring it all home, spread some towels across the bed - 'cause I draw the line at sleeping on crumbs - and chow down while we take in a little bit of Phineas and Ferb. Hmmm. How about "The Chow Room?"

Satellite Office - Sometimes, that trek down 16 stairs to my lovely office with a comfy couch and awesome bookshelves just seems insurmountable. So, I stay firmly planted on my pillowtop mattress and type away on the laptop. Sometimes I still have to schlep down to the office to get the files I need to get the job done, but still. The point is, maybe I should just call it the Satellite Office. Sure. Then I could call the trips up and down the stairs my Commute...

Bad Dream Banishment Bungalow - Thump! Thump! Thump! Shake. Shake.
     "Mommy?" 
     "Wha? Huh? Buddy, what's up?" 
     "I had a bad dream. Can I sleep in here with you?" 
     Scoot. Scoot. Snuggle. 
     Zzzzzz. 



So many names, but only one room. It's all so confusing. I guess "Bedroom" will have to do for simplicity's sake.

But I still say it's totally misnamed...