Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Flash of Something Fun (and Inspiring) on This Otherwise Dreary Day

It's raining. 

And rather dreary. 

I should be writing. But on a day like today, motivation is severely lacking. Even that the ol' adage "Butt in Chair" isn't working so well, 'cause I'd rather wrap myself in a soft blanket by the fire and snooze on the couch.

So, in an effort to combat my desire for a Rainy Day Slugfest, I have turned to mindless tasks that keep me moving, but not necessarily thinking (at least, not on purpose). And that is why I'm hauling load after load of laundry down 16 steps to my washing machine, heaving part of said loads from washer to dryer, then hauling the rest of said loads (still damp) back up 16 steps to the drying racks all set up and waiting to be filled. 

While schlepping laundry up and down the stairs might sneak in some small semblance of exercise, beyond that, it just adds to the dreariness of the day.

And then...I checked email in between schleppings, and found this:


Michelle over at My Semblance of Sanity had left me an award! At last, the clouds began to part - figuratively, at least. (The actual clouds outside are still very much present.) It is a sweet award, and thank you to Michelle for thinking of me! If you've never been to Michelle's blog, check it out - she's known for her hilarity, and is in the middle of participating in NaBloPoMo (challenging bloggers to "Post every day for a month").

After basking in the glow of this lovely award, I pulled up Blogger and got to work on this post. And wonder of wonders, I'm scribbling down other post ideas in between paragraphs. And when I'm done with that, I'm gonna pull out one of those kids' novels and get crackin' again.

But before I go, I want to send this over to Mommy C. She's not blogging so much this month, but it's because she's totally immersed in Authonomy - you can find her profile page here - taking up the challenge to get her writing read, noticed and (hopefully) published. 

Alrighty. The washer is swishing, the dryer is tumbling, and the clothes on the rack are, well, drying. And finally, I am out of my funk, and ready to write.