Friday, July 11, 2014

Illustrator Spotlight: Donna Diamond

Donna Diamond graduated from Boston University of Art with a BFA in Sculpture, and has attended the Robert Blackburn Printmaking Workshop. She works as an artist, focusing on drawing, painting, printmaking, and book art:

"...I am currently working in my studio on images that synthesize my recent work with light and my work as a printmaker. The challenge of exploring the character of light and creating processes that integrate multiple disciplines is incredibly compelling to me. When I am making art, I feel like I am home."

Her artwork is exhibited in galleries and museums in her native New York, across the United States, and internationally. She has also illustrated over 50 books for young readers, some of which have won prestigious awards, including Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson, which won the Newbery Medal in 1978; and Mustard, by Charlotte Graebner, which won the Irma Simonton Black Award in 1982.

Ms Diamond has won the Bronx Council on the Arts BRIO (Bronx Recognizes Its Own) Award three times: in 2008 for Book Art and Illustration, in 2011 for Printmaking, and in 2013 for Drawing.

Born and raised in New York City, Donna Diamond lives in Riverdale, NY.


Sources:
Donna Diamond - HarperCollins
Donna Diamond - Scholastic
The Art of Donna Diamond, official blog of the artist
Donna Diamond - Making a "Mark" of Her Own - bronxarts.org
Meet the 2013 BRIO Awardees - bronxarts.org
Artist's Experience: Donna Diamond
Ann deVere and SPARC present visiting artist Donna Diamond