Wednesday, September 24, 2008

All Hail the One-Hit-Wonders! (Or, We Should All Be So Lucky...)

On September 25, we take time to celebrate the One-Hit-Wonders. You know, those talented musical souls who caught the wave of that one mega hit that everybody was either singing or listening to or playing...but then for one reason or another didn't (or couldn't) catch the next wave, and faded into obscurity. Sort of. I mean, if they truly faded away, we wouldn't remember them so fondly, now would we?

Well, let's celebrate these under-celebrated folks, shall we? Come on - humor me? OK, cool! Let's get crackin' with a little 'ol list of a few of those One-Hit-Wonders. (I wonder where they are now? HAAA ha - get it? I wonder... ahh, yeah, well, it makes me giggle, anyway...) And so, on to...


A Partial (and Probably Terribly Subjective) List of One-Hit-Wonders

You will recall, perhaps, Disco Duck? Mmmhmmm. By Rick Dees. But, you know how I remember Rick Dees? Come on, sing it with me: "Rick Dees - and the Weekly Top Fortyyyyyyy!"

Ooh! Oooh! One of my faves when I was a newly minted teenager: Pac Man Fever... Remember? Pac Man Fever! Da-Na--NAH... Do ya know who sang that one? I didn't - but Wikipedia came to my rescue. It was Buckner and Garcia. 

One of my faves as a college chick was No Rain by Blind Melon. "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain. I like watching the puddles gather rain..." I loved that song, and I have the CD. (Yes, CD. I don't have it on my computer yet, but soon...soon.) Does the little bumblebee girl ring a bell for ya?

Here's one that was really fun: Achy Breaky Heart. Though, does Billy Ray Cirus count as a One-Hit-Wonder with the unfathomable success of Hannah Montana and his recent hit Ready, Set, Don't Go?

No One-Hit-Wonder list could be complete without Tainted Love, by Soft Cell. Loved the song...never knew the band's name.

Who Let the Dogs Out? Go ahead, you know you want to...who? Who-who-who-who? It must have been the Baha Men. And I guess they're still out chasing those dogs...

Here is a hit that was a staple at my junior high dances: The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats. Hmmm. Where are their hats, anyway? 

Hee hee hee heee heeeee! I'm putting all these little ditties in your head, and you'll never get them out. Neverrrrrrr! OK, OK, just a few more, and then I'll be done...

M-m-m-m-My Sharona. The Knack sure had a knack for a catchy tune.

Thursday evening happies at The 'Gaff, once upon a time, were not complete without Louie, Louie by The Kingsmen. (There was also Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl, and Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash, but I don't think those qualify for One-Hit-Wonders.)

Moving on, there's Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum. Hmmm...perhaps if he'd chosen a more catchy stage name...

And of course, we have to list Funky Town. Lipps Inc. I just love the name, don't you? "Dooo-do-do, Won't you take me to, Dooo-do-do, Funky Towwwwwwn?"

Ice Ice Baby! 'Nuff said. Who doesn't know who sang this?

I loved, loved, loved this one: How Bizarre by OMC.

Here's one: Tubthumping, because I just LOVE the band's name: Chumbawamba, and the song is kickin.' (If you've seen The Evolution of Dance, you'll recognize this tune.)

I can't pass up the chance to list We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister, because I do love the hair bands...

And here's a groovy video of my final one in the list: Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry. Gotta love the funk - another of my fave styles. Get up and groove. How can you not?

Go ahead. Get your funk on...