Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Some Sights and Sounds That Saved My Day

Wednesday is usually my Dedicated Writing Day - no having to shoe-horn some word-wrangling in between volunteer assignments, after-school lessons, games, practices or some other "kid-commitment-that's-really-a-mom-commitment-'cause-she's-the-one-who-has-to-get-them-there" thing to do. Yes, my Wednesday is usually just one long, blissfully empty day with nothing else to do... but write. At least until school is out. 

Well. Today was not my usual Wednesday, which was supposed to be OK, because I planned its "unusualness" myself. But, this most unusual Wednesday that was supposed to be OK, was not OK.  

The first part of my plan was to go get that laptop I've been saving up for, but that didn't work. Since the explanation for that is a long, and (for you all) boring tale, I'll spare you. (You're welcome.) The second part of my plan was to come home and gleefully set up my brand spankin' new laptop and type away. That didn't work 'cause the first part of my plan didn't work.  

So, I made a new unusual plan. I would buy the groceries I forgot to get when I went grocery shopping yesterday. Check. I would buy what my lovely girl needed so she could take her turn at running her Girl Scout meeting tomorrow.  Check. I would eat lunch. Ummm... Does a jelly-filled doughnut and a sugar-crammed bottle of iced green tea with honey count? Hmmm... Check! I would write today's blog post sometime before the sun went down. Yes, well, as you can see from the time stamp on this post... no check.

However, because my planned-to-be-unusual day turned into my unplanned-and-still-unusual day, I saw and heard some pretty funny things that made the day bearable:

Seen on the road
A big yellow school bus turned left across my lane. Emblazoned on its side, in big, black capital letters, was: "GROSS SCHOOL BUS." I kid you not! Why, why, why don't I ever have my camera when I need it?


Seen at the mall
A laughing mom, running as she pushed a stroller, while the teensy, dark-haired girl inside it waved her arms in the air, leaned forward into the wind, and screeched with joy, "Faster, Mommy, faster! Yaaaaayyyyy!" 

Overheard in the store
A very tiny girl singing, oh, I don't know, 45 times in a row, with utter abandon: "Haaaappy birrrrrthday to you! Cha! Cha! Cha!"

Read on Nice Facts website
"Fact #9: In Texas, it's illegal to put graffiti on someone else's cow." Hmmm... I guess your own cow is fair game.

I hope your day ended up with a few smiles, too. And now, I'm gonna go dream about spray paint and Texas cows...