The illustration above was created by Chez Wheedleton's own Lovely Girl, especially for this Series, and I am eternally grateful for her generosity.
This event officially came into being here on January 11, 2013. Beginning in 2014, the Series will continue annually each Friday in January - or until there are no more fabulous kids books with dragons in them. (I certainly hope not. That would be a sad day, indeed.)
If you're curious as to how this thing got started, click on the link at the top of this post, and it will take you to the very first post of the Series. If that doesn't answer all of your questions, please email me at the address on my Contact Me page, and let me know what else you'd like to know.
And if you know of a book with dragons that you think is just perfect for inclusion in the Bugs and Bunnies Literary Appreciation of Dragons Series, email and let me know that, too.
- - -
Now that all of the explanatory stuff is out of the way, you probably want to get reading. Just click on any link below, and you'll be taken directly to the post for that list of books.
- Part 1 of 3: January 11, 2013 Books presented: How to Train Your Dragon, written and illustrated by Cressida Cowell; Kenny & the Dragon, written and illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi; The Shamer's Daughter, written by Lene Kaaberbol; Dragon's Keep, written by Janet Lee Carey.
- Part 2 of 3: January 14, 2013 Books presented: Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, written and illustrated by Grace Lin; The Dragon of Cripple Creek, written by Troy Howell; Dragon Rider, written by Cornelia Funke; The Kingdom of Fantasy (Geronimo Stilton), written by Geronimo Stilton.
- Part 3 of 3: January 15, 2013 Books presented: Seraphina, written by Rachel Hartman; Eragon, written by Christopher Paolini; The Discovery of Dragons, written and illustrated by Graeme Base (a.k.a. Rowland W. Greasebeam, B.Sc.); Dr. Ernest Drake's Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons, Edited by Dugald A. Steer, B.A. (Brist), S.A.S.D., illustrated by Wayne Anderson, Douglas Carrel and Helen Ward.
- Part 1 of 5: January 3, 2014 Books Presented: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, written by Catherynne M. Valente, illustrated by Ana Juan; My Father's Dragon, written by Ruth Stiles Gannett, illustrated by Ruth Chrisman Gannett; The Last Dragonslayer, written by Jasper Fforde.
- Part 2 of 5: January 10, 2014 Books Presented: Not Your Typical Dragon, written by Dan Bar-el, illustrated by Tim Bowers; The Last Dragon, written by Sylvana De Mari, translated from the Italian by Shaun Whiteside; Dragon Keeper, written by Carole Wilkinson.
- Part 3 of 5: January 17, 2014 Books Presented: Dragon Run, written by Patrick Matthews; The Coming of Dragons: The Darkest Age, Book One, written by A.J. Lake; Waking Dragons, written by Jane Yolen, paintings by Derek Anderson.
- Part 4 of 5: January 24, 2014 Books Presented: The Egg,written and illustrated by M. P. Robertson; Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher, written by Bruce Coville, illustrated by Gary A. Lippincott; Dealing With Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Book One, written by Patricia C. Wrede.
- Part 5 of 5: January 31, 2014 Books Presented: Serious Trouble, written and illustrated by Arthur Howard; Dragonbreath, written and illustrated by Ursula Vernon; Dragons: The Myths, Legends, and Lore, written by Doug Niles, foreword by Margaret Weis.
* * *
New book lists will be added as they are posted (every Friday in January).