- Ebenezer Scrooge (from A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens).
- Carl Fredrickson (from the Disney-Pixar movie UP).
- Grumpy (from the fairy tale Snow White and the Seven Dwarves).
- Miss Gulch (from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum).
- Yosemite Sam (from Warner Brothers cartoons).
- Statler and Waldorf (from the Muppets).
- The Grinch (from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, by Dr. Seuss).
What do all of these family-friendly, fictional folks have in common?
Why, they're grouches, of course. You know: churls, cranks, crosspatches, grumps, soreheads, sourpusses, crabs. And let's not forget my personal favorite:
If you have more than a little bit in common with these literary and cinematic grouches, then today is your day. Celebrate your grouchiness...or not. (After all, jollification in any form is in direct conflict with the typical Grouchy Nature). And if you're more of a Ray o' Sunshine kind of peep, today is the perfect day to try on some cranky pants for size.
Either way, you've got to start National Grouch Day off somehow. And who better to start you off, than that grouch of all grouches: Oscar the Grouch?