Those of us in the States - well, a large majority of us - typically cringe when faced with the prospect of eating a bug, even if somebody offers to pay us to do it. But there are places where people view bugs as not only a food, but sometimes even a delicacy - Australia, Africa and Asia are three. (Hmmm. I wonder if living on a continent that starts with "A" has anything to do with seeing bugs as cuisine? Something to ponder...)
Anyway, for those who want to immerse themselves in the day, I have just the thing for you. If you live near the Big Easy, you'll want to visit the United States' largest insect museum, The Audubon Insectarium. You can see bugs there. you can touch bugs there. And, via their Bug Appetit cooking show, you can eat bugs there. But if visiting New Orleans isn't in the cards for you, you can always click any of the links above to visit the website for some vicarious fun.
Now that you have some bug background, time to sample the goods. But how? Don't worry, I've got you covered there, too. For those who love to shop, here are some websites where you can order your very own absolutely genuinely real chocolate covered insects:
- Candy Favorites - This page has some chocolate covered crickets to satisfy your creepily-crawl-ily curious palate.
- Cool Bug Stuff - Here is a bug lover's online paradise, with an array of all things exoskeletonish, including a link to buy edible bug creations.
- Candy Warehouse - Lots o' candy here, both traditional and buggy. Plug "chocolate covered insects" into the search box on the left hand side to find them easily.
- Real Cool Toys - This one not only has edible bugs for sale, but also a bug cookbook. Is that cool, or what?
- Educational Innovations - The teacher in me loves this one. Who knew you could learn a thing or two while trying to gross yourself out?
For those who are of the Do-It-Yourself persuasion, the following links will take you to sites which walk you through all you need to know to whip up a homemade batch of chocolate covered insects:
- eHow article - All you need to know to make your own chocolate covered ants, mealworms, crickets and grasshoppers.
- Raymond's Nest - A recipe for chocolate covered crickets, with some giggle-worthy commentary thrown in, to boot.
Here's another little tidbit for you. Did you know that there is a word to describe folks who eat bugs? Yep. And why not? We have a word for people who eat only veggies. We have a word for people who eat people. (Ewww.) Well, the word for people who eat bugs is entomophagian.
There ya go. Don't you just love learning (and tasting) new things?
Slashfood.com - Happy National Chocolate Covered Insects Day
DigitalCity.com - National Chocolate Covered Insects Day - Get Your Edible Bugs
Blissfully Domestic - Tasty Bugs