Friday, July 17, 2009

Great Horny Toads, Yosemite Sam! What IS That Thing? (And, Can I Eat It?)

So, the kiddos and I are surfing the grocery aisles for the second time this week.*

*Disclaimer: Yes, I know, I hate to shop. Yes, I know that going shopping two times in one week is Unnecessary Self-Torture. But here's the thing: my cupboards are prematurely bare, what with Lovely Girl and Handsome Boy growing two inches taller every time I turn around, hungrily scarfing up as much food as they can find while they forage in the fridge and comb through the cupboards. If we run out of food, they'll start gnawing on the furniture, and we can't have that. My husband C and I worked too hard to save up enough money to buy comfortable living room seating, only to have it meet its demise between the chomping jaws of our ravenous offspring. And so, shopping turns out to be The Lesser of Two Evils. Who knew?

Anyhoo, there we are, trolling the aisles for more sustenance for my Rapidly Growing Progeny, when we see this:



It makes us go, "Oooooh!" and "What is that thing?" and "Can I eat it?"

And then, it hits me: Science! Discovery learning! Experimentation! Nutrition! (What can I say? I'm a former teacher. We can't help it. And as any self-respecting teacher out there knows, Lesson + Food = Instant Rapt Attention.) So, in the interest of feeding my kiddos' brains as well as their bodies, I (carefully) pluck up this wild-looking produce, plop it into the flimsy plastic produce bag - which promptly rips to shreds, forcing a double-bag - drop it into our ever-fuller cart, and move on, relishing the incredulous looks from my two Eating Machines.

"You're buying that thing?" Lovely Girl asks.

"Of course," I say as I calmly peruse the potatoes.

Handsome Boy peers curiously at this (hopefully) edible aberration in our cart. "Cool!"

I smile to myself. They are so hooked. As I had hoped, the investigation is well underway here at Chez Wheedleton.


Care to join us? Ten points and a Virtual Pat on the Back to anyone who can tell me:

A. What is this pointy produce we've found?

and

B. How do ya eat one o' these dang things? (And yes, that is proper Scientific Vernacular, thankyewverymuch. It's the Summer Learning dialect, of course. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.)

So, drop me a comment and let me know where your investigations take you. I'll wait a couple of days, then fill you in on what everyone discovers, in my next post.